Sunday, December 8, 2013

I got 25K views from HN, but now what?

So I made a quick hack mapping hospital chargemaster prices in the country:

http://www.bestmedicareprice.com/

It got #1 on Hacker News all day Friday, giving me ~25,000 views. Whoo!

I'm trying to semi-live blog my thoughts about this. I never planned on working very deeply in health care because of all the red tape, but this might be the momentum to get me started.

What I learned:
- There is interest. People don't know how much prices fluctuate throughout the country
- Some people want to see more data, such as growth rates of chronic diseases, commodity procedures (like dental), or price comparisons for treatments around the world
- Data in healthcare is highly fragmented based on state, often not very insightful, and usually non-existent.
- People are genuinely willing to help me in this issue because it strikes a chord with many

My questions, in order of severity:
1) How can I use this, or any other accessible data, to make a sustainable business in this space? Sell visualized data and reports to insurance companies? Sell simulation software to state Medicare organizations to help them plan policy? Make a kayak.com for elective procedures? I need help figuring this out. Healthcare is a vast space that I know little about right now, so any direction would help tremendously
2) Where can I get health-quality data about doctors and hospitals?
3) How can I reach patients who are looking for cheaper, out-of-pocket procedures and can't find it?


No comments:

Post a Comment